Sunday, September 19, 2010

Show & Tell: Visual Definitions

Recently browsing through several through advertisements, I have found examples of good and bad visual examples, more bad than good at this point. In observing what makes a visual definition successful, I have discovered that the viewer/reader attribute to the value of it based on the perception they make of it. In visually defining, I believe that the reader should never have to guess or attempt to decipher what is meant to be conveyed. The definition should be concise, clear and easy for the reader to quickly understand with minimal thought.

May-Bell-Lean   Lucifer Labs (Ad Agency), Chennai, India
In this advertisement, the meaning is very unclear. The product being reference, I assume, is Maybelline (MAY-BELL-LEAN), and if so, looking at the ad, one would never know it. The art direction is very poor, as well as executed poorly. The visuals used are difficult to interpret and are quite ambiguous. the 5/12 could easily be interpreted a number of ways (my first thought, a fraction). I would have never guessed the 5 being the 5th month out of the 12 calendar months. The visual on the far right end is ridiculous. I would have never guessed lean. It wasn't until I read what the ad was titled in order to grasp the definition that was trying to be communicated.

In case of [mix] Nissan Auto Insurance   Lew'Lara/TBWA (Ad Agency) , Sao Paulo, Brazil
Another advertisement, rather better than May-Bell-Lean, works well. The composition and color choices  work well together to present the message. The promotion of the Nissan Auto Insurance Service  is short and sweet. It's very easy to understand. The colors, blue and yellow, represent the objects (vehicle and streetlight or fire hydrant). However, just looking at these two elements, one may not immediately grasp the concept of the advertisement until the green dot and phrase is noticed situated at the bottom of the composition. The green dot, is apparently the blue color and yellow colors mixed. Thus, attributing to the phrase In case of [mix] nissan Auto Insurance. The green dot and phrase essentially completes the visual definition.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Nissan ad you found! I didn't read your commentary before trying to analyze the ad, and I could figure out on my own what it was trying to say (which is exactly what advertisers are aiming for). I think Nissan found a really creative way to advertise car insurance. Just like you, I was really confused by the Maybelline ad. I completely didn't understand what product the ad was trying to sell. I think you found great examples!

    ReplyDelete