When writing, I often combine many thoughts in one sentence. To me, it always makes sense, but I know it is incorrect and it makes it difficult for whoever is reading the piece. I came across one grammar site that has exercises to complete that gives a better understanding about comma splices and fused sentences. Both, comma splices and fused sentences are never grammatically correct. When completing one exercise, I realized that when I write, I use comma splicing often. The exercises also give an explanation of how one would resolve comma splicing and fused sentences.
A comma splice contains two main clauses illegally joined by a comma. The problem looks like this:main clause + , + main clause =.
A fused sentence, on the other hand, contains two main clauses illegally run together with no punctuation whatsoever. The problem looks like this:main clause + Ø + main clause =.
As a writer, you must keep in mind that comma splices and fused sentences make you look like an amateur. They tell your reader that you cannot control the construction of a sentence, the most basic building block of a piece of writing. Learning to identify comma splices and fused sentences is the first step to fixing the problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment